Re: Policy about debian/compat

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote on 09/07/2007 16:57:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 04:48:05PM +0200, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
>> Hello,
>> what is the policy about file debian/compat ?
>
> It's a part of the interface to debhelper, and as such is documented in the
> debhelper documentation.

True.

>> I was not able to find any policy about it in 'Debian Policy Manual' on
>> debian.org. It seems it should contain package version mentionned in
>> field 'Build-depends:' in debian/control for building from source package ?
>
> Debian policy does not describe or discuss debhelper; you can build packages
> just fine without it. (It isn't very common, though, but some prefer it.)

Also true, but as I frequently need to backport packages to (old)stable,
 I would really like people only to increase the debhelper compat level
if they really _use_ new features in the new level.

While I backported packages to sarge during the etch release cycle, I
frequently (i.e. I can't remember a package where it wasn't like this)
all I needed to do to make a package compile cleanly on sarge was to
decrease the compat level back to 4. So specifying 5 there was utterly
useless in the first place. Just because debhelper supports a new compat
level doesn't necessarily mean you should depend on that. Unless, of
course, you actually rely on some effect of that new compat level during
your build.

regards,
Sven