Re: Targeting RPM and Debian from a Debian box?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007, Holger Levsen wrote:
> O etch it hits one bug in rpm, so you need to mkdir /var/lib/rpm outside the
> chroot. Doh! See the BTS for more info.

 Right; in fact, it's presumably both a feature and a bug of our RPM
 packages: "RPM Transaction Sets" don't work properly when rpmlock_path
 isn't writable because they need to take the lock using this file,
 however _rpmlock_path defaults to dbpath, and the Debian RPM package
 doesn't ship a /var/lib/rpm to avoid people installing *.rpm files
 along their dpkg managed system.

 So one way is indeed to create a /var/lib/rpm, another way is to set
 (for example via /etc/rpm/macros.mach):
    %_rpmlock_path /var/lib/rpm-lock/__db.000
 this still gives the protection that RPM won't allow to install
 packages.

 One could wonder why mach/mock don't workaround / override these
 values -- especially to use pathnames in the chroot -- but the problem
 is that the host's yum doesn't offer anyway to set RPM macros and RPM's
 dbpath when setting --root isn't relative to the root.  :-/

--
Loïc Minier