Re: apt-get -y upgrade for non-interactive sessions - and replacing conf files in /etc

On 7/5/07, Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
On 05-Jul-07, 14:06 (CDT), Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de> wrote:
> Am Do den  5. Jul 2007 um 20:57 schrieb Alan Ezust:
> > I passed -y as an option, and then during the postinst, I have a
> > situation where the package has a configuration file which is newer
> > than what it is about to replace. I would like it to just replace the
> > configuration file without asking me, but it won't do that, even if I
> > pass the -y option.
>
> I think the following lines will help:
>  export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
>  export DEBIAN_PRIORITY=critical

That's only for debconf; I think Alan is talking about the dpkg level
conffile handling.

Alan, you know that it should only be prompting you on conffiles you actually
modified? Do you really want those overwritten?

Yes, I see it is indeed only prompting me for conffiles that I
manually modified. In my particular situation, and I realize this is
unusual/dangerous, I still would like to to clobber my handmade
changes with newer versions from a .deb file. Setting those two
environment variables did not change the behavior of dpkg in this
particular case.