Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

#include <hallo.h>
* Ivan Jager [Tue, Jun 19 2007, 03:39:22PM]:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> >Ivan Jager wrote:

> >This sounds like another "not a perfect solution" fallacy. Accurately
> >presenting the full amount of disk space a file uses is an orthogonal
> >problem that having distinct prefixes can't be expected to solve. Having
> >distinct, unambiguous prefixes is still strictly better than having
> >ambiguous prefixes.
>
> They are not strictly better. Did you not read the part where I said I
> didn't want an extra column of "i"s that serves no real purpose?

Don't you read the explanation where people say which purpose it does
serve? If you cannot distinguish between a perfect solution and a good
partial solution, then you are a real victim of the "not a perfect
solution" fallacy.

> >What you personally have become accustomed to is irrelevant in the big
> >picture and in the long run. That you can't think of any problems
> >doesn't mean that no problems exist
>
> It's not that I can't *think* of any problems. It's that I, like several
> other people here, I don't *have* said problems with the programs I use,
> and I don't particularly care to have that "fixed". Just because you can't
> tell whether the output of ls -lh is using binary or decimal prefixes
> doesn't mean it's a problem for everyone else.

So if you know that there are problems then there is no point in argumenting
against the people who want to have them solved.

Eduard.
--
Naja, Garbage Collector eben. Holt den Müll sogar vom Himmel.
       (Heise Trollforum über Java in der Flugzeugsteuerung)