Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

#include <hallo.h>
* Ivan Jager [Fri, Jun 15 2007, 05:36:33PM]:

> How about when you buy an 80 GB disk, and you know it's 80 * 10^9 bytes,
> but your software says /home only has 79 GB and you know it means
> 79 * 10^9 bytes?

First, it would hardly say 79GB. Maybe 79.96GB which is much closer.

> Should we also add filesystem overhead to all file sizes
> just to avoid confusing newbies?

Second, "du" already does that. Go figure.

> >I don't want to read some manual or source code just to know which base
> >is used when I read or write 10G. When I write, how can I unambiguously
> >tell the program that I mean 1000 or 1024? Only using G and Gi, this
> >would be possible.
>
> It only solves half the problem. GB is still ambiguous even if GiB isn't.

Sure, but it makes it possible to make it _right_ in a good portion of
situations. The people who really need binary units can make clear what
they are doing there. Otherwise they would deliberately create
confusion. You like to be among them? You like chaos and cheating?

> How about using these prefixes to unambiguously refer to powers of 10?
> kd	kidi	10^3

Like in kidigram and medameter? What comes next, midroutopicans?

Eduard.
--
<Salz> jjFux: Ted hieß ja früher auch Walther
<Salz> winkiller: hm... es sind 8... die 7 kandidaten und NOTA