Re: One vs. many -src packages for my project?

Em Seg, 2007-06-18 às 18:05 -0400, Christian Convey escreveu:
> On 6/18/07, Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 04:28:09PM -0400, Christian Convey wrote:
> > > I could create Yet Another Source Package, "myproject-common-src.deb",
> > > that contains *only* those files that are in common.  I.e., it would
> > > only contain "make-functions{1,2}.mk" and perhaps the top-level
> > > Makefile.  Then package like "libraryA-src.deb" could have a package
> > > dependency on myproject-common-src.deb.
> >
> > You could also just copy the file to the different source packages
> > when releasing the source, no? Or are they so big and are there so
> > many packages that will use them?
>
> I'm not dealing with very big sets of files at all.  But they're
> broken out into 21 libraries and 18 application programs.  So if I
> package them separately it's a whole lot of writing of control files,
> changelogs, etc.
>
> Are you suggesting that each subproject (libraryA, libraryB, etc.)
> has, in its own source directory, a clone of the file
> "make-functions{1,2}.mk" ?
>
> I guess that would be somewhat OK, but it makes me a little
> uncomfortable to clone files like that.  I wouldn't want to do that in
> my own svn repository, because I don't want to maintain multiple
> copies of what should be an identical file.

I think that making a small binary package with these makefiles and
build-depending on them would be reasonable if you're making these
packages for internal usage (I don't think the ftpmasters would like a
package with two makefiles...)

You would have to patch the sources to search for them in the right
place, which is ok IMHO.

--
Gustavo R. Montesino
http://grmontesino.blogspot.com