Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

* Loïc Minier (lool@dooz.org) [070618 12:04]:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > It's even worse. You're acting as if you were modifying debian/symbols
> > without modifying it, saying it's fine because you didn't modify it...
>
>  I think this is fine; the resulting "symbols" file can make strict
>  assumptions.
>
>  You don't expect dh_makeshlibs to make your build fail, even if you
>  might forgot excluding some new plugin dir for example.  In the same
>  way, dpkg-gensymbols will generate a symbols file based on your earlier
>  instructions and will do something safe for symbols which are not
>  covered by your instructions.

I just fear we will loose most of the advantages if the developers are
not reminded the hard way to fix stuff. Of course, we can still live
with it - appropriate warnings in lintian and convincing maintainers of
core packages probably will fix that anyways.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/