Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

Hello,

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> What comes next
> ---------------
> Up to now, I only tested those scripts on a few packages. What comes next
> is some archive-wide work:
> - I want to generate ready-to-use symbols file for all libraries
>   initialized with packages from etch and then kept up-do-date with all
>   revisions uploaded to unstable.
>   I'll probably hook that into Mole (http://wiki.debian.org/Mole)
> - I'll work with Lucas Nussbaum to do a full rebuild of the archive
>   with those symbols file. Then I'll try to check out how many
>   sid packages could be installed on etch, or could directly migrate to
>   testing. If anyone familiar with britney would volunteer to do that for
>   me, that would be awesome.

Lucas did a first full sid rebuild with my script yesterday and today.
He used the symbols file that I generated with the gensymbols.sh script
(available the bzr repository too):
http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/symbols.tar.bz2

The resulting Packages file is:
http://people.debian.org/~hertzog/Packages.gz [1]

Ralf Treinen accepted to do some analysis on that Packages file with the
edos-debcheck tools that he maintains in Debian. We'll followup with the
results once they are available. :)

Also, during Debconf, Anthony Towns will try to simulate a britney run on
a similar (hopefully updated) Packages file and see if it would lead to
more transitions than a usual britney run.

Otherwise, the discussions in this thread lead to several interesting
points (listed in the TODO in the repository) which will require some
rewrite and optimization of the format of the symbols file. I'll update
the wiki page and my implementation as soon as I have enough time. My goal
is to finish this during debconf in any case.

Cheers,

[1] One limitation of this first build is that a part of it got built with a
version where no dependency was generated if no symbols were used (even
if the library is listed in NEEDED). Given that it would only result in
unversioned dependencies, it doesn't change much the results in the
upcoming analysis anyway.
--
Raphaël Hertzog