Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > The file in debian is *not* updated, that's precisely the point of this
> > discussion. Joss wants the maintainer to update it beforehand, I let the
> > maintainer update it after its final build but it will then be used only
> > for the next upload of course. (The file in debian is not auto-updated
> > during the build in any case)
> >
> > The file in in the binary package (debian/<package>/DEBIAN/symbols) is
> > however generated at build time (and has thus updated symbol information).
>
> Wouldn't that result in packages build against an outdated symbols
> file?

And what's the supposed problem with that?

The only problem that it can generate is that the maintainer forgets to
update the symbol file from time to time and thus symbols are marked
as appearing in a later version than the version where they were really
introduced.

Really not a big deal and certainly not the source of any major problem.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog