Re: Best practices for cron jobs?

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 12:28:09AM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:

> What can I do to satisfy those with and without anacron, and to avoid
> hammering the sa-update servers at a specific time?

Idea:

- Generate a random minute number in the postinst
- Set up an entry in cron.d that runs every hour at the above specified
  minute and calls a helper script that checks if the last invocation of
  sa-update was more than 23 hours ago (using a timestamp file) and if
  so calls sa-update

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences