Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

#include <hallo.h>
* Bernhard R. Link [Tue, Jun 12 2007, 12:18:22AM]:

> > Excuse me? Pretty simple example: you have only 2.03 GB (real GB)
> > remaining free space (seen in some disk info tool) on your harddisk and
> > you are fetching a 2GB file (2 fake GB, 2GiB in fact). So what, it
> > breaks about 99% and displays some very unexpected message.
>
> Isn't uncompressed size filesystem dependent? (At least the space the
> package will need when being installed will be).

I was talking about the application itself and not the package format.

But yes, in Debian packages it has "never" been absolutely accurate IIRC.
I imagine that it would be possible to find workaround by using some
some internal representation of the file types and numbers in the
package and a guessing algorithm for the used file space.

But what for? Packages can even create temporary stuff during
installation which you cannot predict well, or even persistent data
(index caches etc.). So this information in the packages is not more
than a coarse grained estimation of the required disk space.

Eduard.
--
<Myon> TV ist Zeitverschwendung
* micsch muss auch nochmal seine TV-Karte einbauen