Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

I prefer not to use these new prefixes, because the old ones only became
confused due to the efforts of drive manufacturers. Who are perfectly
capable (and equally financially motivated) of pulling the same trick
with the new units, standards body or no.

Also, the "ib" prefixes sound stupid. Furthermore, the "KiB"
abbreviation wastes a lot more screen space than "K", while actually
converying no additional useful information. Many programs use every
available character in a nominal 80 column screen and would have to drop
information, precision, or significantly change their display to use the
"KiB" unit.

Debian has approximately as small of a chance standarising this
throughout the distribution as we do standadising the spelling of
"colo[u]r" or "standardi[sz]e" throughout the distribution.

(On the other hand, I am one of the minority of people in the world who
still prefer imperial measures, so apply salt to taste.)

(On the third hand, I am a proponent of binary or decimal time
and date representations. Down with bases 12, 60, and 30+-1 !)

--
see shy jo