Re: Reasonable maximum package size ?

On Jun 05, Michael Hanke <michael.hanke@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is now: Is it reasonable to provide this rather huge amount
> of data in a package in the archive?
Not for a niche package, at least.

>  - much easier to handle for users (thinking of offline machines)
I could not care less, since the number of users affected is with very
good approximation zero.

>  - if upstream goes offline, the relevant software package in the archive are
>    basically useless as the required datasets are not distributed anymore
Create your own distribution site if you really believe this to be a
problem.

>  - diskspace is rather cheap and bandwith should be no problem as the
>    number of downloads will remain relatively low.
Diskspace *is* a problem for mirrors, as is bandwidth in many countries.
Also, you should think about this issue not just in the context of the
single package you are interested in but as a general policy.

--
ciao,
Marco