Re: Why not move Apt to a relational database

On Sunday 03 June 2007 14:35:07 Neil Williams wrote:

> > http://people.debian.org/~seanius/dpkg-sqlite/
>
> Umm, that uses python to create the database - if there are problems
> putting sqlite into a rootfs, there is NO place for python!! Emdebian
> is removing perl from essential, let alone python (and replacing bash
> with dash/busybox too).

Umm, that was a *proof of concept*.  given that i didn't want to spend more
than 2-3 hours on something that might not be acceptable by the dpkg
maintainers anyway, i decided to spend the time writing the part that
actually mattered and shortcutted the rest.

and if you read the dpkg devel thread that spawned this (don't think it was
referenced yet in this thread, but it has been referenced the last time or
two dpkg has been brought up on -devel), you'll see that i'm not particularly
attached to sqlite3 as "the format"--i'm more pushing for the concept of
abstracting/outsourcing the data representation/retrieval/storage from the
handling thereof.

that said, i think that sqlite3 would be a pretty good candidate if we were to
go with anything other than plaintext.

	sean