Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 08:30:56PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> Count me in. I don't feel comfortable with choose-of-venue at all.

This attitude is exactly why there's a disconnect between regular posters
and subscribers to debian-legal and other members of the project.
How you feel about a license isn't any more important than the other
people's feelings that happen to be opposite to you. The above isn't
analysis, it's grandstanding.

And if you really want to have licenses determined by how people "feel"
rather than analysing the effects of the license in real world situations
as compared to what's actually written in the DFSG, I expect you'll find
we just end up with more GRs like the the GFDL GR that doesn't match
commonly held opinions on debian-legal at all.

If you're a non-DD, non-maintainer, or whatever, and you have new insight
to add to license/DFSG analysis, that's great! That's exactly what the
list is for.

If you just want to post about your opinion on whether we should consider
something DFSG-free or not, do it in a way that respects the fact that
there are plenty of other contributors to Debian who might happen to
hold opinions different to yours. And also realise that the only place
your opinion is actually going to have some effect is in packages you
maintain, or if we hold a poll or a vote, and posting to -legal isn't
participating in either of those.

Cheers,
aj