Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Friday 01 June 2007 20.51:27 Kris Deugau wrote:
>  Instead, we try to make them work
>
> > as far as their dependencies are met.
>
> ... which means what, exactly, if my program expects
> /usr/lib/apache2/suexec but the system (stock Debian sarge) only has
> /usr/lib/apache2/suexec2?  Or vice versa for etch?

Just make sure you depend on whatever version of apache that matches where
you expect the suexec binary to live.  Yes, you'll need to check for all
such cases but it will get you much further than relying
on /etc/debian_version because even people heavily mixing Debian releases
will be happy.

cheers
-- vbi

--
24h Business Support:
... for example, when one of our products stops working, we'll blame