Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:55:57AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> > I wonder why do we need a file to tell the user about the contents of
> > his /etc/apt/sources.list file. Have you read "How do I know which
> > distribution I'm running?" in base-files FAQ? The answer is still
> > valid for *any* file which is part of an installed package.
>
> We are not telling the user, we are telling *programs* what environment they
> are in.

That's the fundamental mistake I see here: We should not be telling
programs what "release" they are running to begin with. We do not try
to make packages to work under the assumption that they will run
"on a sarge system" or "an etch system". Instead, we try to make them work
as far as their dependencies are met.