Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:

> lsb-release has Priority: extra so it's not that likely to be installed.
> I've still doing distribution recognition by grepping
> /etc/*-release /etc/release /etc/debian_version.

lsb-release is quite nice when using facter (usually via Puppet), since it
uses lsb-release to fill out information that's handy to use in Puppet
rules.

Unfortunately, currently lsb-release Recommends: lsb, which then installs
the entire world (like apparently large chunks of Qt) if one uses the
default behavior of aptitude.  (Bug filed.)