Re: Can/should debconf notes still be used?

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:22:10PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 May 2007, Frank Küster wrote:
> >> To me, the solution is to resurrect these conffiles without
> >> prompting, because prompting doesn't make sense if the only working
> >> answer is "yes".

> > Can you test to see if the system is working without the conffiles?

> There are about 8 RC bug reports which show quite clearly that it
> doesn't.  There's no sense in testing that in the maintainer script.  If
> a local admin hacked the system so much that it keeps on working without
> them, I frankly don't care - it's no longer a Debian TeX Live system.

> > if not,
> > restore them once.

> Yes, we'll do it only once anyway.

How do you plan to ensure that?  Since old versions of the tetex packages
with the broken postrm are still in the wild, and a user may have already
removed the tetex package but *not* purged it yet by the time fixed tetex
packages became available, AFAICS any strategy that will make sure that the
conffiles are only restored once (e.g., by only restoring the conffiles when
upgrading from an older version of the texlive packages) will not be able to
reliably fix this problem for all users.