Re: A sane guess at default Debian mirror for pbuilder

Hi,

> > After 6 years or so of setting ftp.jp.debian.org as default for
> > pbuilder, I'm finally determined that it shouldn't stay like this.  So
> > I'd like to have some default guessing to happen.  Preferably I don't
> > want to ask via debconf, since users should have already answered the
> > question at installation-time.
>
> I think the most accurate method would be to scan the list of configured apt
> sources, and choose the first one which matches the Debian release the user
> is currently running (via the information from Releases).  If the necessary
> API isn't available yet, this could probably be added to python-apt without
> too much trouble, and might be useful elsewhere as well.

I think this is very much useful as a starter.

Considering that current apt output is not sufficient (apt-config does
not seem to dump sources.list information, and apt-cache policy does
not output enough information), it would be a good idea to have APIs
for doing it.

I am not sure if it should be done at python-apt layer or libapt-pkg,
or adding an interface to apt-cache.

regards,
	junichi
--