Re: Improving dependencies on shared libraries

On Sat, 26 May 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 26 mai 2007 à 22:34 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > > This is not going to work. Checking that symbols are present in a
> > > version does not guarantee they provide the required ABI.
> >
> > If the ABI changes, the soname changes. I store the information of symbols
> > for a given soname. So it should work.
>
> The soname only changes if the ABI becomes incompatible. If the ABI is
> extended, the soname doesn't change.
>
> The example I showed doesn't require a soname change.

Right, I read your message too quickly, sorry. However the maintainer
can change the symbols file in his package and update the dependency
associated to this symbol and make sure that a binary using this symbol
will depend on the version used to build the package.

However it might well be some form of micro-management that you don't want
to have to deal with. And it can't be handled automatically. How
frequently do we encounter this kind of extension of the ABI ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog