Re: rampant offtopic and offensive posts to debian-user

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> So you agree to a separate -offtopic list?

[and]

> Maybe a #debian-offtopic would help there too.

Why should Debian developers spend the time setting up infrastructure
for lists or IRC channels that, by definition even, have nothing to do
with the Debian project?  If the people who enjoy holding these
off-topic discussions on debian-user want a place for them, maybe those
people should set up and maintain that place themselves.  Or how about
using this one?

http://forums.debian.net/viewforum.php?f=3

(And count me as another who's given up on debian-user after those
enormous off-topic flamebait threads became common.  I read the mailing
lists mainly via the Web archive, to avoid massive bandwidth going into
my inbox, so I can't just filter out useless threads.  Even the
never-ending S*** L***** threads were more related to the project.)

regards,