Re: Reasons for recommends and suggests

    >> But then you could just say: "Useful in case template databases
    >> get corrupted". There is no need to go and explain details.

    Don> If you're not going to explain what it actually does, why
    Don> bother writing it at all? You could just as easily assume
    Don> that the package maintainer knows what they're talking about
    Don> when they mark a package as Recommends: and assume that it
    Don> should be actually installed in the default case.

    Don> The information above isn't enough to make a rational
    Don> decision as to whether you really need debconf-utils when
    Don> you've got ucf installed or not.

Another user might look at the same package, with the description and
think "this computer only has a restricted amount of disk space and I
really don't care if the database does get corrupted - I don't expect
this system to be around much longer anyway - so I will ignore the
suggestion and won't install the package."

With no description it might be more along the lines of "I don't know
why this package is suggested maybe I will have to install it anyway
just in case... Lets hope I have enough disk space..."

(sure, it is unlikely you would run out of disk space installing the
mentioned package, but for the general case, it is very possible.)
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>