Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 12:32:37AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 11:15:36PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> >
> > If there are concerns over archive size, why don't we drop all static
> > .a libraries at the same time.  Given that in Debian we typically
> > always link dynamically, is there a need for .a libraries in all but a
> > handful of cases?
>
> Dropping most .a libraries is something I agree with.  I see no reason
> why we should have them for most of the libraries.

As a courtesy to our users. Statically linked programs are slightly
faster (since they don't need to do PLT lookups, so they spare a jump on
every function call to a shared object). For people for whom performance
is critical, providing .a libraries is a good idea.

--
Shaw's Principle:
	Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will