Re: packages newer in Ubuntu than in Debian (reduced false positives)

On ti, 2007-05-01 at 14:29 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2007 14:02, Bart Martens wrote:
> > I have updated the list to hide packages with identical upstream
> > version numbers but with different epochs.  This might hide some real
> > positives but most likely hides more false positives.
>
> There is also:
> binutils  2.17cvs20070426-3  2.17.20070103cvs-0ubuntu2
>
> Here the debian version is actually more recent by almost 4 months than
> the ubuntu one...

dpkg --compare-versions doesn't know, that, however:

        liw@dorfl$ if dpkg --compare-versions 2.17cvs20070426-3 lt
        2.17.20070103cvs-0ubuntu2; then echo Debian is older; else echo
        Debian is newer; fi
        Debian is older

Arguably, it would be best if the Debian and Ubuntu packages used the
same approach to labelling CVS snapshots in package versions. The Debian
experimental version uses the same approach as the Ubuntu package, for
what it's worth.

--
Mulla on halu häkätä ja mulla on siihen taito