Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 22:31 +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Sonntag 22 April 2007 22:12 schrieb Russ Allbery:
> > Hendrik Sattler <debian@hendrik-sattler.de> writes:
> > >
> > > You essentially need to build all library packages 2 times, then.
> >
> > Actually, you don't.  See the features of dh_strip introduced at debhelper
> > level V5.  And of course you can do the same thing by hand.
> >
> > gdb will read the resulting detached debugging symbols automatically.
>
> Did you ever try to debug an application compiled with optimizations?
<snip>

Of course.  There are many "undefined behaviour" bugs that will only
show up in optimised builds.  You have to stop relying on source lines
and look at the disassembly, of course.

Also, oprofile wants debugging information, and there's no sense in
turning optimisations off for that!

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare ...