Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:22:40 -0500
Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:

> You seem to be arguing that the man pages should be in the core
> library package, yes?

I would prefer a -doc package that covers the entire API in a
comprehensive and detailed manner, registered with helper programs like
dwww and/or devhelp. In limited cases (like perl) where the library
itself is very small, a man (3) in the -dev would be sufficient IF it
covers the complete API.

> As for putting the docs in the core library file, I don't actually buy
> your argument. The *VAST* majority of a libraries users are never
> going to look at the man pages for that library. People who need the
> man pages are going to have the -dev installed, or can easily install
> it. I don't see why upstreams needs this.

Sorry, I didn't intend to give the impression that the man (3) would go
into the libfooSONAME package, instead I expect it to be present in the
-dev package. HOWEVER, with libraries like libfoo-perl, the
documentation IS part of the core library file already - most perl
libraries (/modules) do not have a -dev package, nor would they need
one. Most would also not need a -doc package but some might. Perl
documentation is trivial to generate when using POD.

--

Neil Williams