Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 12:22:40PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 22-Apr-07, 17:01 (CDT), Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> > I think libraries should be encouraged to provide significant
> > documentation - what we have now is simply not enough.

> You seem to be arguing that the man pages should be in the core library
> package, yes? My objection is against mandating a *separate* -doc
> package. Separate doc packages make sense when the documentation is
> a significant portion of the total binary package size, and thus

Reading between the lines I think Neil is assuming that good
documentation has to be large enough to be worth splitting out.  I don't
think that's a good assumption - for example, one reason people make
libraries is to hide some complex algorithm or nasty portability
problem.  This often results in a library with a very thin API that
doesn't require much documentation.