Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:02:37 +0200
Hendrik Sattler <debian@hendrik-sattler.de> wrote:

> Am Sonntag 22 April 2007 21:39 schrieb Neil Williams:
> > Apart from those limitations, is there a *technical* reason why -dbg
> > packages should not be available? Is it worth taking to -policy?
>
> You essentially need to build all library packages 2 times, then.
> Any examples for debian/rules file?

dh_strip --dbg-package=libfooSONAME-dbg

> But if you mandate -dbg packages for libs, why not also for apps?

Because, as an upstream developer, you are generally working with the
upstream package, you have the debug code for your own package
available. Some applications could benefit from a -dbg package,
probably large programs like rhythmbox, gnucash.

> However, most users will never use them.

That is precisely what I want to change - I want Debian to be
attractive for upstream development so that more Debian users are also
free software developers.

Why not make life easier for developing software ON Debian? It's only
going to make it easier for Debian to package upstream code if it was
developed on Debian in the first place.

--

Neil Williams