Re: Linux/Debian documentation suggestion

On 17-Apr-07, 13:25 (CDT), Glenn Moeller-Holst <glenn@ruc.dk> wrote:
> It is proposed that the kernel and applications packets (.deb, .rpm)
> includes (or has the possibilty to include) documentation about the
> package commands.

They do. Have you looked? Some packages with large documentation sets
distribute them as a seperate package, the documentation package usually
has a name in the form "<package>-doc". Some packages lack upstream
documentation; we cannot distribute what has not been written. But the
vast majority of packages have a man page for each command.

> Purposes:
> *When "I" is in the catalog "/var/log" - what commands can I use here?
> *Which commands is occluded by others at "/var/log"?
> *A command "xxy" at "/var/log" - which package is responsible? (Am I
> using the right package command?)

All three of these questions show a lack of understanding of the PATH
variable. Unless "." is in your PATH (highly discouraged), your current
working directory is irrelevant. Try "which foo" to locate what will be
executed for "foo", and 'dpkg -S /usr/bin/foo' to locate the package
containing it.

> *If I deinstall "this" package - which commands are then lost?

Dpkg -L.

> *If I want or need command xxzz, which packages can give me that?

You'll need to explore the packages website.

> *If a given command is in some sense considered obsolete, which
> commands is then endorced?

The package description (apt-cache show foo) or documentation
(/usr/share/doc/foo) may provide recommendations.

> The "man" and "info" documentation should (with time) be included in
> the package. Why should I search the net for command documentations?
> The system should supply the right documentation.
>
> Have this feature-idea not occured to others?

It has, long ago. Have you actually looked for the documentation
included in most packages?

> Optional more suggestion:
>
> A script file should document which "commands-pools" is required.

The script's package should (and most often does) "Depend" on required
packages. I've no idea what a "commands-pool" is. If the script is not
packaged, Debian can hardly enforce requirements on it.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net