Re: Second call for votes for the debian project leader election 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:21:00 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> said:

> Well, Manoj, the initial mail contains a paragraph called:

>     HOW TO VOTE

        The paragraph goes on to state that the way to vote is to send
 a signed or encrypted ballot to an vote.debian.org email
 address. That is all, really, that is needed.

        The relevent RFCs are RFC 2440, and RFC 3156, and perhaps one
 should also look at RFC 2822.

        I don't think I need to inform people on how to send
 mail. Indeed, the paragraph does not include details on how to type
 either:
   In order to type the letter "a", look on the keyboard (ask someone
   if you do not know what a keyboard is) for a key which has the
   symbol "A" on it. Using a finger, press on that key. If nothing
   happens, press harder. If done correctly, you should see "a" on the
   display. you press too long, you  might see more than one of these
   letters. In that case, you have to locate the backspace key ...."

        No. These instructions are for my peers.

        My peers.

        I'll not insult the intelligence of the voters in general by
 presuming to instruct them in how to type or how to send email.

> You as the secretary has the job to organise voting and because I
> consider the paragraph as incomplete (regarding the statistics you
> posted in your last mail to d-d-a)

        The secretary has to provide details on how the vote is to be
 sent in.

> I think it is at least your turn to organise that this paragraph can
> be improved.  So IMHO it is not a question whether you *like* to
> scratch that itch, because you are finally responsible to enable
> voters to submit their votes flawlessly.

        Rubbish. The voters are responsible for casting their
 votes. People need to stand up and take responsibility for
 their own actions without being spoon fed.

>  If broken software is around this is not your fault.

        Seems that way, dunnit?

> But if it turns out in a certain point of time that this broken
> software is causing trouble in issues you are responsible for, you
> can not simply shift that task to somebody else.

        I am not gonna go around fixing all kinds of broken MUA/MTA
 software out there, sorry,

        I am also not going to spoon feed people and teach them typing
 or how to use a proper email client.

        If you want instruction, I might offer teaching classes, but
 my rates are not the lowest out there.

        manoj
 irritated
--
Art is a jealous mistress. Ralph Waldo Emerson