Re: Second call for votes for the debian project leader election 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:27:59 -0700, Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> said:

> Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:
>> The relation between Rejects and Voters is currently the highest we
>> ever had.  I'm just asking whether we need some technical
>> improvement here because I personally add a count of three to the
>> rejects and have no idea how to vote successfully.

> With Gnus+Mailcrypt, I was unable to vote with a signed but not
> encrypted ballot.  The voting daemon claimed that there was some
> kind of quoted-printable problem.  This surprised me: Gnus and
> Mailcrypt have not caused problems for me with any previous votes.
> However, this is the only ballot I recall containing non-ASCII
> characters, which could be the cause.

> So then I sent in a signed and encrypted ballot.  This caused the
> whole ballot to be base64-encoded.  Presumably this sidestepped the
> quoted-printable problem, because it was accepted.  -- Ben Pfaff
> http://benpfaff.org

        mailcrypt does not produce PGP/MIME mails, it signs and ascii
 armors a file, which is included as body of the message, and passed
 to Gnus.  Gnus then notices there are non-ascii characters, and
 proceeds to protect them; which violates the integrity of the mail.

        My suggestion is to stop using mailcrypt, it is ancient, and
 hoary; pgg and easypg work a lot better.

        This is a case of non-functional MUA software.

        manoj
--
Unix is a Registered Bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories. Donn Seeley