Re: Attempted summary and thoughts (was Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 09:12:32PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> ----
> If a package has a bug with a *patch* attached, where the *patch* has not
> been reviewed on by the maintainer(s) within six months, the package will
> be orphaned immediately; the maintainer will not be allowed to adopt it for
> at least a year, though he may comaintain and make uploads.  (This should give a
> more accurate reflection of the real state of the package and make other people
> feel more free to fix the package.)
> ----

Out of curiousity, what is the algorithm for determining whether a patch
has been reviewed?  If it is not an algorithm, per se, then what is the
heuristic?

> Point 3.
> --------
> Tedious bug triage is a major portion of package maintenance.
>
> Some people wish it wasn't, but it is.  When you volunteer to maintain
> a package, you're volunteering to do at least some, and probably a lot,
> of this.

Perhaps this can become a component that AMs evaluate in their NM
candidates?  As part of my NM process, I had to prepare NMUs, prepare
sponsored uploads, fix RC bugs, and so on.  Adding bug triage in there
would be a good thing.

> People should be given assistance and encouragement in
> doing it.  I actually like doing it, but I have unfortunately relatively
> little time (sick family members).

I like doing bug triage as well.  I guess it is because I am a neat
freak and anal about organization.

Regards,

-Roberto

--