Kernel selection in the installation system

when installing a Debian etch machine, the installation system
automatically selects the kernel which is most appropriate for the CPU
and installs the corresponding kernel package on the harddisk of the

Can anybody tell me how the installer decides which kernel to be
installed? Or tell me where I can find the source code of the selection

Please send your answers not only to the list (I have not subscribed it)
but also to my private email address.

  Christoph Pleger