Re: co-mentor for a GSoC proposal wanted: debbugs web submission

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I'm willing to present a Debian project proposal for the Google
> Summer of Code [1] for implementing a web frontend for reporting
> bugs to the Debian BTS.

Any such frontend must not be worse than reportbug at actually
gathering information and providing real contact information for the
submitter. I personally don't think one for submission will ever be as
useful as reportbug, which is why I've never worked on it myself, and
why I've marked #277744 wontfix.

> Hence I would feel more confident in proposing the project if
> someone with such knowledge join me in co-mentoring the project, in
> case an interested student shows up.

I'm not averse to helping out, but you'll pretty much end up working
with me or someone else with an owner@b.d.o hat to actually implement
it anyway.

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> I also prefer if the student can integrate this feature into debbugs
> and not inject the bug report through any other way.

This feature has to be implemented as an add on module to debbugs or
entirely separately. It can use the Debbugs:: modules if it must, but
it really should pull any information it requires using the soap
interface so it doesn't have to run on b.d.o.

As far as submission, it should just operate by actually sending mail
to a debbugs instance.

In any event, the appropriate place to discuss this sort of thing is
debian-debbugs@lists.debian.org, not really here.

Don Armstrong

--
"Because," Fee-5 explained patiently, "I was born in the fifth row.
Any fool would understand that, but against stupidity the very Gods