Re: Huge cache dirs in $HOME

* Pierre THIERRY <nowhere.man@levallois.eu.org> [070314 07:51]:
> I just discovered today that some packages can store pretty huge cache
> data in my $HOME, and found that rather problematic. When I backup my
> home, I don't want to waste backup space or time to do it, because I
> have to check what eats space and tell if it's cache data.

In my eyes no program at all should store caches in $HOME. There is
$TMPDIR for that. Even small files can be a big problem, if you have
several hundred users.

I'm always collecting information how to tell programs not to do so.
Mozilla derived programs normaly can be told with a
pref("browser.cache.disk.capacity", 0);
in the right file to globally switch it off. Against those grotesque
.fonts.cache-1 files (which are not only cache that should not be in
/home, but also system dependent thus even more do not belong there)
running fc-cache as root on all hosts regulary helps.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link