Huge cache dirs in $HOME

Hi,

I just discovered today that some packages can store pretty huge cache
data in my $HOME, and found that rather problematic. When I backup my
home, I don't want to waste backup space or time to do it, because I
have to check what eats space and tell if it's cache data.

Couldn't such packages, like beagle and tracker, just use the standard
directory for that purpose, like specified in XDG's basedir?

That would be very helpful, I find.

Could it be made mandatory, for packages that produce rather big caches,
like indexing tools?

Separately,
Pierre
--