Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 11:26:51AM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 10:16:17AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> >         Volunteers volunteer because of non-monetary rewards they gain
> >  from contributing.
>
> Really?  I volunteer (in addition to the altruistic reasons) because I
> want to learn more about Linux and Debian, which makes me a better
> consultant to people and also improves future job prospects.  Those two
> things are decidedly monetary gains.

If you're volunteering on a project and someone with more time does all the
work that involves learning, you don't end up learning much because you
don't end up solving much.

On the other hand, if your job involves so much of the same work over and
over again, you don't get to learn new things either. I've spent the last
year and a half (two years? I've lost count) trying to learn more about X,
but I've spent most of my time just doing packaging because it takes so
much time. I can't say I've been able to learn much and improve my skills
though.

 - David Nusinow