Re: On management

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> That, I fully agree with. I also had the chance to see a good project
> manager in action, and that makes a huge difference.
>
> I'm not convinced at all that *funding* a manager would do any good to
> the project. Which is why I'm wondering if there are ways to attract a
> few people with such profiles in the project. We have attracted many
> developers, sysadmins, translators, and everything we need to run the
> project; there must be a way to do the same for other profiles.

Do you believe that the DPL is not a management position ?

In a recent discussion with Josip, we were talking about management vs
leadership and he concluded that the DPL can't do much leadership because
the real decisions are taken by all the teams/delegates, however his
position is surely one of management since he needs to make sure that all
teams interact correctly and they can rely on each other with confidence.

There's some truth in that and I certainly expect a DPL team to have a big
role to play in management and coordination.

Contrary to Josip, I do think there's some leadership left, but only if he
has enough time to invest in actually doing things instead of discussing
with everybody.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog