Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 07:01:17PM -0600, Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:10:12 +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> >
> > Now, the iceape case is interesting: *you* (as in, the one complaining
> > about rotting bugs) are also allowed to help the maintainers instead of
> > whining. *That* would help. For example, these three packages I have
> > listed in this mail, they really need bug triaging help. And no, that
> > doesn't mean we don't care about our packages nor our users.
>
> But, users don't know you care unless you tell them, and (IMO)
> acknowledging bugs (each and every one of them) is a great way to tell
> them that you do.

We try our best to answer most of the new bugs.

The other half of the problem that noone has talked about here yet, is
that the users are as responsive as the maintainers, i.e. pretty badly.

Why do we have rotting unclosed bugs concerning old fixed issues ?
Why don't most users just send in a message to say if the bug they
reported is gone with a new upstream version ? Because they either don't
care or moved along. Not necessarily because the maintainers didn't
answer, because it happens even when we do.

And not only when bug are fixed don't we get feedback. We sometimes also
face non-responsiveness to our requests for more precisions on the bug...

Mike