Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Monday 26 February 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 03:07:20PM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, Pierre Habouzit said:
> > >   I was previously beeing ironic, now I'm not anymore.
> >
> > No, previously you were being sarcastic.  There is a difference between
> > the two.
> >
> > I find it quite amusing that you are arguing here that you should not
> > have to respond to people reporting bugs to you, when you
> > simultaneously argue elsewhere that the uncommunicative nature of some
> > teams in Debian is a major problem.
>
>   There is a major difference: I do not refuse help, nor make it almost
> impossible for newcomers to contribute. The KDE team is a perfect
> example of how new contributors can be integrated smoothly and promptly,
> and how easy transition to new maintainers goes when a team is open by
> design, and not driven by control freaks.

there's a problem with your reasoning here:

someone who goes through the trouble of filing a bug report is somebody
who'se getting involved in helping the project. Lots of users will just use
some other program that does work if they have a problem and not bother
filing a bug report.

Now granted filing a bug report isn't exactly a major effort, but everybody
has to start somewhere, and when people try to help out we should try to
make sure it's a positive experience.

Having a bug you report silently ignored for long periods is not a positive
experience, especially if the bug has a patch (e.g. translations regarly
rot in BTS without feedback for months, while the package gets uploads
several times [1]).

I think we can all agree that this is a desirable _goal_. So the question
then becomes wether or not that goal is achievable with the people at hand.

So in order to get an overview of the problem I've just created a wiki page
[2] could everybody please help fill this in? now sofar in this thread
we've identified the following packages/packagegroups having problems:

- iceweasel is Eric and Mike (2 people): 528 bugs.
- XSF packages is (mostly I think) Julien and David (2 people): I'd
  say more than 900 bugs (500 on xorg solely).
- OOo.org is René (_1_ active people): 459 bugs.
- Glibc is mostly done by aurel32, and I try to help (1.5 people):
  ~300 bugs.
- GNOME id 3 active people (2 uploading, 1 doing *only* bug triage), plus
  6-7 less active people, for 145 packages totalising 1618 bugs.
- evolution with 98 bugs for 2-3 people.
- D-I

Could people involved with these packages please go to the wiki page and add
their projects indicating what their problems are with keeping up with
bugs. Right now I've got 2 categories:
- can't keep up with new bugs
- lots of antiquated still around (I've added KDE in this category as
  Pierre's earlier mail[3] indicated they're now keaping up with new bugs)

Indication of the size of the problem would also be great (as in roughly #
antiquated bugs, or roughly #bugs more per week then we can handle)

[1] luckily for translators the frequency of this happening has decreased
    noticably over the last couple of years
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/bugSquashing
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/02/msg00698.html
--