Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Monday 26 February 2007, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2007-02-26, Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
> The bug reports might be read, but not answered.  There is no reason to
> send a content-less pong to a bug report.

there most definately is a point:

A user sending a bug report is a user getting involved with the project (in
a minor way). Getting involved should be a positive experience, as that
encourages more involvment later, which is good for the project.

A pong as I proposed elswhere in the thread does 3 things:
- it explicitly tells the submitter their effort is apreciated and will
  _not_ be ignored, though it may take a while to get around to adressing
  the issue they raised.
- it explicitely invites the submitter to get more involved through bug
  triage or patches (and that little push to get involved might all that's
  needed, in fact a similar request for translations is how I got drawn in)
- it gives some idea of why the bug won't be handled directly (and from that
  you get a general idea of when it will be handled, or at least when you
  should ping the maintainer again)

All of those are obvious plusses in the big picture view of the project as
whole and the relationship of the project with our users.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)