Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 11:26:45PM +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> Hello.
>
> What do people look on the following idea: not allow packages to migrate
> from sid to testing if they have unanswered bug reports with severity >=
> normal?
>
> I guess it may be difficult to analyse automatically what is 'unanswered'
> (because there could be follow-ups by submitter and other people, or
> reassigns, or whatever), but perhaps some working heuristic can be worked
> out...

Bad idea.  This penalizes inremental work.  I.e., package foo gets seven
important bugs filed against it.  The maintainer fixes three and
uploads.  That is certainly an improvement.  Your proposal penalizes
that maintainer for not fixing all of them at one go.  Besides, for
things that are not RC, the sevrities are a bit subjective.  A bug that
is important to the maintainer (because it affects him) might be
wishlist to most users and vice versa.

Regards,

-Roberto

--