Re: recent etch upgrade... sashroot (uid=0) started to impersonate uid=0 (root)

Steve Langasek writes ("Re: recent etch upgrade... sashroot (uid=0) started to impersonate uid=0 (root)"):
> Sure, there may have been a behavior change in libc6.  But the output of
> getpwuid(0) is *undefined* when you have more than one record in /etc/passwd
> with uid 0, so it's not a bug for this behavior to have changed.

It's not clear that that behaviour is `*undefined*' as you say.  That
is, I can't find anything resembling a specification of the format of
/etc/passwd.  The closest is passwd(5) but that's obviously much much
later than the de facto standard was established.

All other systems have had first match processing for /etc/passwd
since the dawn of time, and we should do too.

Ian.