Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On Monday 12 February 2007 01:58:19 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > A probable reason is that the NM process is getting tougher and/or that
> > some developpers didn't even pass an NM process...

While at the moment that I have just passed Tasks&Skills II, I consider this
to be possible but rather unlikely szenario. However, I presume that in about
20-30 years from now when I got older this may well be true. What do we have
then - quantum computers? No keyboards any more (hope so) ? But should just
because I cannot compete with the young fellows I should then be expelled
from the society or lose my prior right to vote? I think: Not!

Our society should be aware that people age. And it should find a way to live
with the elderly, not expell them. This is why I strongly object the
technically well-meant following paragraph:

> Then we are better off without them.  I can understandy anyone trying to
> avoid NM in the grounds that it is a hassle (as in they'd rather be doing
> something else), etc.  But any current DDs who would have real trouble
> getting through NM really should leave.

cat<<EOCOMMENT | sed -e 's/judge/vote/g'
Debian lives from its chain of trust. To have well-trusted people on board is
worth something. Trust means more than technical competence. Think of judges
who are commonly IT-illiterate but do judge on IT issues as they are
presented to them.
EOCOMMENT

Cheers,

Steffen