Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On 10927 March 1977, Bart Martens wrote:

>> Three week vacation periods are not uncommon.
> Of course, and I'm sure everyone knows that.  When I read the
> announcement again, then I see no reason to panic. :)
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/02/msg00008.html

> An example, how I understand the announcement:
> - a DD skips the coming DPL vote,
> - this DD forgets to register "on vacation",
> - this DD goes on vacation for 4 weeks,
> - DAM sends a WaT e-mail,
> - DAM waits a reasonable time for a reply :)

That will be one or two months, so a very reasonable time.

> - the DD is back from vacation,
> - the DD has missed the WaT e-mail,
> - DAM decides to set the account to "emeritus state",

No reply is disabled state.

> - e-mail still works for 12 months,

Its 6, same as emeritus.

> - the DD notices the reduced permissions with next package update,
> - the DD contacts DAM, "huuuh my account is locked!"
> - DAM restores the full account, "hi you're back, how was vacation"

Yes, basically. So to get your account in a state where you can only
come back by full NM you need to

  - "miss" the vote, which (as Manoj described) should generate enough
    noise to not miss it[1],
  - miss the WaT mail. Even if you are on vacation for a long time, I
    guess it wont be 3 weeks (vote) plus one or two months (WaT mail
    timeout), and dont you read your backlog when you come back?
  - miss the 12 months of account disabled before you lose the ability
    to come back without full NM.

This sums up to 13 - 14 months of do-nothing to completly lose the
account. That should be *plenty* of time to send one mail...

> This seems very reasonable.  Or have I misunderstood something?

[1] well, except you have like long vacation right now. Or unplanned
    hospital stay or something like this, which is the reason disabled
    can get back within the 12 month of deactivation...

bye Joerg
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there
when it happens.
  -- Woody Allen