Re: Debian in Sanger (Re: update on binary upload restrictions)

Paul Cager <paul-debian@home.paulcager.org> writes:

> Tim Cutts wrote:
>> What I'd actually like is some sort of non-root packaging system so that
>> users could build software with decent dependency checking for their
>> shared software infrastructure.   Can dpkg be cajoled into doing that?
>
> Could you use a schroot instance to do that?

You can if you combine it with sbuild (specifically for Debian
packaging, though).  However, it's still a bit risky, because there
are ways the user could abuse their access to the chroot in order to
subvert the system (e.g. via the debian/rules binary target or in the
postinst of a package pulled in as a build-dependency).  Worse, the
current design allows the sbuild user unrestricted root access to the
chroot.  If you don't use schroot, sbuild *requires* unrestricted sudo
access to the host system!

I do have plans (post-etch) to eliminate the user access to the chroot
via sudo or schroot, so that sbuild should become safe for untrusted
users.  Once I have got my thoughts organised, I'll post them to
buildd-tools-devel in the next week.

Regards,
Roger

--