Re: How to maintain packaging files for multiple distributions in the same tree?

Hi Øystein,

Øystein Gisnås wrote:
> Is there a good way to let Maemo-specific packaging files coexist with
> Debian unstable files in the upstream tree? Currently there is a
> debian/ upstream, but it is Debian unstable specific. Btw tinymail is
> not part of the official Debian Archive.
I think the best way is to have a special debian/rules target to
manipulate the control files, i.e.

  cp debian/control.$(what-to-build-for) debian/control

(and similar)

and prepending a dummy paragraph to the changelog.

At least this seems what I've done when wanting to maintain in parallel
for stable and unstable.

> The problem is that of maintaining packages files for several
> distributions in the same tree, preferably by using diff techniques
> between them.
The cleanest solution (to me) seems generating the control files upon
checkout from svn or somesuch.

Kind regards

P.S.: Let me know if you need help with any packaging, I'd really like
to see Debian packages of tinymail (he, and looking through my spam
folder, maemo packages as well).
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/