Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 21:16 +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 06:34:18AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > >
> > > Features. Features, features, features. Do you only want features,
> > > without even knowing whether they are useful? Sorry, usability is not
> > > about features.
> >
> > Are you telling me that these features I keep see getting removed are
> > *NOT* about usability for me? OK, functionality to me... Functionality
> > for me determines my usability. It I have to use some archaic command
> > like (btw I don't really mind them *IF* they are well documented) but
> > like:
> >         gconftool-2.3-1-9.mark32 -a2 -r4 --/usr/sbin/someothercommand \
> >         \-\-optionforexternalcommand -32 --etc -e -t-c \
> >         --corruptmysettingsplease
> You *do* know that there is a graphical gconf-editor, right?
> [snip]

Umm yes, a clumsy replacement for a former GOOD configuration system.

Sure, it has paths and other junk... many things are not able to be
edited or added in gconf-editor. gconf-editor is a pile of crap. No
better than the cli ones.

I have regularly had my GCONF stuff partially corrupted in any case.
Associations go away, programs crash spontaneously, I look for bugs...
find the exact same things I have. Solution or workaround? remove *ALL*
user gconf and gnome settings. Literally nuke them.

I sure love a (un-)reliable configuration system being pushed on me this
way, piece of crap. Regularly, I get a Fresh desktop to configure...

Come on, continuous refreshment is REALLY good for someone that needs to
get work done... yeah wasting time fixing things to work the way he

Or, I can just adjust the way I work to be a NEW USER all the time...
*GREAT* I now get to work like a completely useless computer user... to
get my stuff done! YEAH! Way to go TEAM GNOME!

This happens FAR to often to be unrelated and rare. Or maybe I guess I
really am a troublesome user.

Pardon me while I wipe up the severe sarcasm spillage.
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux