Re: db.debian.org (and related infrastructure) updates

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 10:26:34PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Paul Waring:

>> I've seen a lot of announcement/verification emails (such as Amazon
>> orders) which go out from an address that does not exist -

> In the SMTP envelope?  I strongly doubt that.

Oh yeah, I have seen that rather often. Alioth did that for a rather
long time. The french ANPE (agency that handles unemployment benefit
payments and helps you find a new job) did and maybe still does. Some
"announcement-only" mailing lists with a default Exim installation are
sending with an non-existing envelope sender, but an existing header
"From:", because exim would force the envelope sender to be
"${USER}@${HOSTNAME}" and ${HOSTNAME} is not in DNS, or there is
nothing listening on port 25 on that host or ... You then typically
see senders like apache@foo.isp.tld or www-data@foo.isp.tld.

It is also semi-widespread to send messages with something like
"do-not-reply@${DOMAIN}" as sender, where this address naturally does
not exist. Typically in large organisations when the big boss sends an
all-around announcement.

--
Lionel